Thursday, July 28, 2011

"Pet" Peeve

Can I just say that I *really* dislike listening to dogs bark incessantly?

Thank you.

Also, while I am at it: I strongly dislike the sound of birds chirping at 4 am.

I really prefer total silence and darkness (when I am trying to sleep)....unless I am the one making the noise.
:-)

(source)

The dog barking thing has been a lifelong issue. Seriously people, if you have a dog, you need to make sure it is not annoying all of your neighbors while you are inside watching Springer. If you work all day, it might be a good idea to, oh, I don't know, ASK your neighbors if your dog is noisy during the day.

But mostly, if you don't have the first clue about dogs, what owning a dog entails, how much time, effort, money and training it takes or how much they poop, bark, shed or smell then PLEASE, just don't get a dog!

Dogs are NOT an accessory. They are like a small child. They take a TON of work. They live for 8-15 years (more or less depending on breed, size and a variety of other factors) and they are not disposable...meaning you don't get to get rid of them once you decide you didn't have the first clue about owning a dog in the first place and just thought it was cute and now you are tired of it.

They need baths. They may need grooming. They need to get let outside multiple times per day to go potty. Once they do go potty, YOU need to pick it up and dispose of it properly! They need to go to the doggy doctor and have doggy medicine. They need food and FRESH water daily. They need exercise. They need to be taught manners. They need companionship and they NEED an owner that is in charge.

Yes, I am a firm believer in the alpha dog. YOU need to be the alpha dog.

Dogs are great companions. But, you cannot leave them home alone all day long. This means you also cannot leave them outside home alone all day long. They get bored; they get lonely; they chew; THEY BARK!

Huh, this post was going to be about something totally different, but I am sitting outside on my beautiful patio in the gorgeous weather and am being annoyed by my neighbors dogs barking. Tangent!

Really, though, if you have a dog, or are thinking about getting a dog, do your research. Borrow a friends dog for the weekend or a week or two. See if your lifestyle is compatible. Are you willing to walk your dog twice a day, rain, snow, sleet or shine? Your doggie doesn't have the bladder the size of the Hindenberg, are you willing to get up as early as needed to let Fido out? Or are you going to ignore Fido's pitiful whines and just clean up peepee off the floor? And then be mad at Fido?

I just have to add here that one of my neighbors has a dog that just now is like yawn/howl/talking...LOL! Maybe he is stretching? I have no idea...it is sort of a hilarious sound. At least he isn't barking.

Dogs are not toys. They are real live beings with needs. If you are not capable of properly fulfilling those needs then you have no business getting a dog.

Now, if you are thinking of having a child take everything I just said and multiply it by a million.

I'll be back shortly with what my original post was going to be about: Zucchini!

EDIT: HAHAHAHA! I just found this picture and HAD to add it!! LOL!!


(source)


1 comment:

Ann Richeda said...

Haha Corrie, I concur! I'm amazed, as I take my dog for walks, at how many neighbors' dogs are out in their yards barking at us. My dogs have always lived inside (although until I adopted Ms. Crawl Under The Fence, they had access to the yard via dog door). I've been lucky. None of my dogs have been barkers. My neighbors have been surprised I even had them.

I'd like to add to the "dogs are not accessories" comment - that it also applies to chihuahuas which are over-running our shelters here in California. A very sad situation.

Do think seriously before you get a dog, and if you do decide to get one, please go to your local shelter or rescue organization. There are so many good dogs out there that deserve homes.

- Ann