Thursday, July 28, 2011

Be The Change



"Be the change you want to see in the world."

~Mahatma Gandhi


(source)

Now, I am not one to disagree with Mahatma Gandhi, but I think, and maybe this is what was meant, but I think that we need to be the change we want to see in ourselves, and that in turn, will impact the world, or at least our perception of the world.

I started reading The Four Agreements last night, by Don Miguel Ruiz.

I knew, before I ever even opened to the first page, that this book was going to have a huge impact on my life, in my life.

I have owned this book for about 6 years.

I have never gotten past the front flap where The Four Agreements are synopsized. (Yes, that is a word, I just looked it up.)

If you are not familiar with Don Miguel Ruiz and The Four Agreements I will share them with you.

These agreements are so powerful to me that I never got past the front flap. I have read *just the flap* dozens of times in the last six year.

I have had long, meaningful conversations with my friends about these agreements, without ever getting past the flap.

The Four Agreements are:

Be Impeccable With Your Word

Don't Take Anything Personally

Don't Make Assumptions

Always Do Your Best

Of course, there is much more, which is why there is a book to explain them, but really, if we lived our lives by just these four agreements, how amazing would our lives be?

How much time do we spend gossipping, telling little exaggerations and half truths?

How much time do we spend worrying about what others think of us or internalizing others actions as a reflection on us in some way?

How much time do we spend thinking we know what someone else's motives or motivations are?

How much time do we spend not doing our best, not giving it our all?

Even for someone like me, who has read these agreements time and time again, and have been working for years on incorporating them into my life, I can honestly tell you I spend way too much time doing these things. Some more than others.

I am going to continue to read The Four Agreements and I am very sure that I will have many revelations, quotes and thoughts to share on this book and ideas as I move forward.

But initially, it does start with a change within ourselves. We cannot impact change to others. Change begins with our own agreements, rules, beliefs, perceptions.

When we change ourselves, we change the world, but perhaps only the way we deal with that world.

One of my favorite agreements is Don't Take Anything Personally.

"Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won't be the victim of needless suffering."

I love this agreement and I have spent the last several years incorporating this agreement into my life. What I do is about me. What others do is about them. I can only impact what I do. I can not impact what others do.

So, I think Mahatma Gandhi and Don Miguel Ruiz are on the same page, but I'm not sold on the idea of changing the world.

I think, in truth, we can only change ourselves.

No comments: