Tuesday, July 19, 2011

My Brother's Garden

Another post about food?? YAY!

In my family we have a lot of good cooks. We also have lots of people who are good at growing things.

So far, I am doing well on the “good cook” front and moderate on the “growing things” front.

This is only our second year of really having a garden and, as I have posted before, it is going okay. We certainly aren’t at a point where we can live off of what we produce, but that isn’t really the point, either.

My brother has planted a garden this year. I have mentioned him and his cooking abilities before in previous posts. He is the imaginative cook…I am more of a recipe-inspired cook. Chris is the one who cooks eggs. Got it?

My brother lives in the Pacific Northwest, where it has been raining, essentially, since last September. This is not an exaggeration. They have had the wettest spring in something like 50 years; July 17th, 2011 was the wettest on record with .67 inches of rain (almost what they get in an entire month of July). One would think that such a lack of sun and warmth and such an abundance of rain that his garden would not be doing so well.

On the contrary:




His garden is going gangbusters! It is beautiful! FULL of things growing, sprouting and tons of ready to harvest stuff. I don’t know what he is doing out there…if he is singing to them, or painting them pictures, or playing “I AM WOMAN” to boost their power, but what I do know is that his garden is gorgeous!

This is just a small portion of the bounty from his yard and garden last week.

Clockwise from the Zucs, Purple and White Kohlrabi, Beets, Beet Greens, Romaine, Swiss Chard, Kale, Cucumber, Peas, (center) fresh Cherries, Blueberries, his favorite smelling rose, and some Kohlrabi Greens.



My garden is finally starting to have a few little things ready, too.

Blueberries, radishes, green beans, and basil!




I made pesto. YUM!





Do you garden? How is it going? Leave a comment and tell us what is happening in your garden.



No comments: