Monday, July 23, 2012

Target Groceries

Hello!

I am still alive. The last time I posted was July 7th! I have no idea how that much time goes by between posts. I feel like I post all the time. Anyway, things have been very good and (obvi) quite busy! I will do a little recap of what we have been up to, but this post is going to be short and sweet. Well, maybe not sweet, but short anyway.

Our local Target recently underwent a renovation so they could install a "grocery" section.

I received this ad in the mail last week.

My question: How necessary was it *really* for Target to add a "grocery" section that includes nothing but junk food?

Do people *really* need more places to buy corn-products disguised as food? (Don't know what I'm talking about? Read Michael Pollan's The Ominovore's Dilemma or watch "King Corn").

What is Target advertising?

Well, so far as I can tell the only actual food item listed in their ad is eggs.

The remaining items? Frozen corn and mixed veggies (maybe food, but still corn!), Oscar Mayer Lunchables, Coke, Frosted Flakes, Pop-Tart's, Lean Cuisine, Ball Park Beef Franks, Frozen Pizza, T.G.I. Friday's frozen snack item (wth?), Market Pantry frozen chicken breasts (fed with corn, I'm sure), and Archer Farms Sockeye Salmon fillet. Okay, that one claims to be "all-natural" and "wild-caught" so it might be a legitimate food item, too.

But look at the photos in the ad:


They are photo advertising fresh foods, fruits and vegetables, but they are SELLING crap! I'm sure they have some fruits and veggies in the store, don't get me wrong.

Here is my point: Target already had aisles filled with junk food, snacks, treats, candy, cereals, etc. Yes, it is a good thing if more people buy fruits and veggies because they happen to be at Target, but is that what they are sending coupons for? NO.

I will stick with visiting my local suppliers as much as possible for my groceries, and growing my own. Thanks anyway Target.

No comments: