Tuesday, January 31, 2012

January 31, 2012

Hello Again! It feels like forever since I posted.

The big news is that I survived my two weekend class and can now return to a regularly scheduled schedule. I have a $%&*-ton of homework to accomplish, but I will just take it one step at a time.

(I should really be doing homework right now, but hey, I needed to check in here!)

Okay, I have a couple of things to say. First of all I want to tell you about an experience I had at school. I am taking a business class and one of the things that keeps coming up is ethics. I have a pretty darn strong ethical compass. In fact, my ethics are what caused me to leave two different jobs in the past. I just have to say that I am *appalled* at the lack of ethics and the, shall we say, moral flexibility that many of my (typically younger) fellow students have. They attempt to justify everything! I actually inquired of my teacher if I was totally out of line with the general thinking of the class and she said that I certainly had a different thought process, likely due to generation differences and work experience. This lack of ethics really concerns me. I mean, do these kids understand that lack of ethics is what led to Enron's collapse? Bear Sterns? The Gulf Oil spill? The current economic recession where thousands of people have lost their jobs and homes? Unethical behavior is a cancer in our business world and I have a great fear that it is only going to get worse.

Thoughts? Disagreements? Respond in the comments if you like.

Today is the last day of January so I thought I would check in on my goals.

I have to say that my school schedule this month, as I suspected it might, really got in the way of my goal achievement. It is mostly because after 8 straight hours of class I am exhausted. I still had to do all the regular life stuff and homework stuff, so I really didn't have the energy to do anything else.

I exercised 10 days of the month. Not that great, but I was expecting that a little bit.

I did start training for the half marathon on some of those days and completed walk/jogs several times, increasing both my distance (longest was 4.61 miles jog/walk) and time jogging (1 min walk/jog intervals for over 3 miles). So that is progress and I fully intend to get back to training this week!

I didn't exercise every other day so I am a little behind on my goal of exercising half the days of the year, but I can catch up.

This means I am also a little behind on my goal of exercise minutes for the year, but as my friend Jenn pointed out, half marathon training should get me a lot of those minutes.

I am still going to school, surviving it and doing well ( I think) so am still working on the overall goal of finishing this year. We shall see!

So, I didn't hit all the numbers for January, but I didn't think I would either.

February starts tomorrow! Short month, and time for some short term goals.

Biggest goal is to get back to half marathon training by hitting  the pavement two-three times per week for walk/jog intervals of increasing time and distance. I hope to improve during the month and perhaps be able to double my jog time and add at least another mile and a half to my distance.

That's the biggest plan! One step at a time, right?

Thanks for hanging in here as I have coped with a crazy schedule! I plan to be here more now that I am back to regular class schedule!

No comments: