Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Help


I don't watch much TV, but I have had it on a bit over the last couple of weeks. During that time I have seen commercials for a new movie, released today, called "The Help". Prior to these advertisements I had not been exposed to the movie, or the book that it is based upon.

Something about the commercials intrigued me. After asking around and getting many very positive responses, I decided to read the book and then go see the movie today.

Yesterday I downloaded "The Help" via my Kindle for PC app. Seriously, this is the coolest app. I don't even need to have a Kindle! I go to amazon.com, download the app, instant buy and download the books and they are available for me to read on my laptop or on my android phone! Awesome!! <--- say in sing-song voice.

Anyway, I spent pretty much the whole day reading it yesterday. It is one of those stories that sucks in you from the first sentence. There is love, sadness, death, hate, and laughter in this book.

The official description is "Set in Mississippi during the 1960s, a southern society girl returns from college determined to become a writer, but turns her friends' lives -- and a small Mississippi town -- upside down when she decides to interview the black women who have spent their lives taking care of prominent southern families. Aibileen, Skeeter's best friend's housekeeper, is the first to open up -- to the dismay of her friends in the tight-knit black community. Despite Skeeter's life-long friendships hanging in the balance, she and Aibileen continue their collaboration and soon more women come forward to tell their stories -- and as it turns out, they have a lot to say."

The book is excellent! As I said, I read it cover to cover in one day. Today I saw the movie. As is typical, the move has been modified, scenes have been combined, pieces of the story left out. Parts of the movie seemed a bit choppy. It felt to me that the producers of the movie expect everyone to have read the book. There are bits and pieces of backstory and details that are missing, which in my opinion, are important to getting the full experience.

The movie did make me laugh, gasp and get teary...but the full effect is really felt from reading the book. I am glad I took the time to do both, but I would suggest reading the book if you haven't and seeing the movie when it comes out on DVD.


No comments: