Friday, December 16, 2011

Steak, Fennel and Arugula Sandwich

Many of you know that I read Cooking Light magazine, and end up making quite a few of their recipes. I think they do a really great job of balancing yummy food and lower calories. The magazine reminds us that no food is "off limits" and that things like steak and mayonnaise can be a part of a healthy diet, when eaten in moderation. I really enjoy that aspect of Cooking Light, because it is a belief system about food that I share.


I really dislike the idea of labeling when it comes to eating and diets. I think when we create labels about what we will or wont eat, we open ourselves up to a lot of attacks by other people if we don't live up to *their* standard of whatever food label we have chosen.

Here is what I believe about food: I need to eat food. Healthy and nutrient dense actual food. I need to limit fake, sugary, processed foods. I need to base my diet on fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans, legumes and proteins. There needs to be room in my diet for periodic indulgences, but overall I need to eat FOOD and skip non-food and food-like products filled with unpronounceable ingredients, chemicals, fillers and red dye #7.

I do not believe in "diets", severe food restrictions, or labels of what type of eater I am (vegetarian/paleo/whatever). I am a human that needs to eat food. That's it.

This recipe is from Cooking Light, although I have never made my own mayonnaise. I just use store bought. I really love fennel, especially cooked like this, it is so flavorful. My only caution with this sandwich is don't use a bread that gets too hard/crunchy when it is toasted, or your mouth will get ripped up like you have been eating Cap'n Crunch cereal! I rarely follow recipes exactly, but this one is pretty close!

Here is the link to the original Cooking Light recipe.

Here is what I do:



Steak, Fennel and Arugula Sandwich
Serves 2

3/4 teaspoon fennel seeds (I love fennel!)
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon cumin (I love cumin)
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
olive oil (divided-to roast fennel and then cook steak)
2 average fennel bulbs, thinly sliced
1 ~1lb new york loin steak, ~1 inch thick
2-3 tablespoons mayo (feel free to use the Cooking Light recipe and make your own)
4 slices of hearty bread
1 cup fresh arugula

1. Combine fennel seeds, salt, cumin and pepper in a small bowl.



2. Heat olive oil (enough to coat your pan) in a skillet over medium heat. Add half of seasoning mixture to pan and the sliced fennel. Saute for 15 or 20 minutes, stirring periodically, until the fennel is soft and starting to caramelize and brown.




3. Remove fennel from skillet and set aside. Add a bit more olive oil to pan. Coat all sides of steak with remaining seasoning mixture. Add steak to pan. Cook about 5 minutes per side, or until desired degree of doneness.


4. Let steak rest for about 5 minutes before slicing.


5. Lightly toast your bread.
6. Thinly slice steak against the grain.
7. Assemble the sandwich. Spread mayo on each slice of bread, top with arugula, sliced steak and caramelized fennel.



EAT and ENJOY!!












No comments: