Saturday, December 31, 2011

Month of Giving Recap

Happy New Years Eve!!

First of all I want to thank each and every person who even glanced at the title post each day of this month to see the name of each of the charities I highlighted. Raising awareness is all I was trying to do, and if you glanced at the post title, then my goal was met!

I decided to post a daily charity highlight for the month of December because I wanted to do something to commemorate the holiday season and the feeling of giving brought about this time of year. I also wanted to use it as an opportunity to introduce people to charities they may not have heard of. And, I wanted to highlight charities that can use your help in other ways than just financial. Plus, the end of the month brings about our last opportunity for tax deductible charitable contributions, so I thought I would capitalize on that, too.

Plus, I didn't want to make 30 different batches of cookies that I would then have to eat.

I want to thank my good friend Jenn at Cats, Cooking and Compassion for her lovely guest post about no-kill shelters, and great tips and reminders about pets in general! Don't forget to check out her blog!

I also want to thank my friend Sabrina from College Dreams for her lovely guest post and sharing with us her personal story! Thank you Sabrina!

I also want to thank each and every person who suggested a favorite charity. Your suggestions were very helpful! Writing about 30 different charities was challenging, informative and really amazing. There are SO many awesome ways to help people or animals in need, pretty much no matter where your interest is. Food, water, clothing, hair, blood, housing and so much more.

I do want to remind you that these 30 charities are just the tip of a huge iceberg. There are thousands of charities. Church groups and other local organizations in your own community do great good, in addition to well-known national and international organizations.

Thanks for reading this month! Below is a recap of the 30 charities I highlighted each day of this month of December. Day 31 is dedicated to thanking each of you and this recap.

Happy New Year!!

American Red Cross
Donate Your Dress
Cell Phones For Soldiers
One Sight
National Coalition Against Domestic Violence
Heifer International
One Warm Coat
Big Brothers Big Sisters
Locks of Love
Ronald McDonald House Charities
Goodwill Industries International
St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital
Books for Soldiers
Feeding America or Your Local Food bank
Start Making A Reader Today
Doctors Without Borders
Make-A-Wish
National Alliance on Mental Illness
National Marrow Donor Program
Your Local No-Kill Animal Shelter or Rescue Group
Toys for Tots
National Hospice Foundation
Meals on Wheels
Your Local Women's Shelter
Earth Birth
Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA)
charity: water
Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund International
Pancreatic Cancer Action Network
College Dreams

One last public service announcement: Please don't drink and drive. Many AAA locations throughout the country and other local taxi and tow truck companies commit to helping New Years revelers get home safely each New Years Eve. It is typically free or low cost, and you don't have to be a member of AAA.

1-800-222-4357 AAA Tipsy Tow Hotline. In Portland Oregon after 8pm on New Years Eve Max and TRIMET will be free.

Before you head out for a night on the town, check into what is available in YOUR local area. Plug those phone numbers into your magic phone and if you do happen to ring in the new year with a little more than you should, PLEASE call someone to take you home.

Thanks for reading this year. I appreciate each and every one of you! Happy New 2012!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know this if off tορіc but ӏ'm looking into starting my own weblog and was wondering what all is needed to get setup? I'm assuming
having a blog lіke yourѕ woulԁ cost
a pretty penny? I'm not very web smart so I'm not 100% poѕitive.
Αny suggеstіons or advіce would be grеatly aρprеciаted.
Manу thanks

Here is my web рage ... crearfacebook.weebly.com

Anonymous said...

Vеry gοoԁ аrticle. I definіtely lоνe thiѕ webѕite.
Thankѕ!

Visit my webрage :: facebook cuenta gratis