Monday, October 29, 2012

Monster Dash 5k 2012

(source)

On Saturday Morning I headed out in a grey drizzle to meet my friend Allison and her boyfriend Corey in Ashland to participate in the Monster Dash 5k. I decided totally last minute to do this event after seeing a sign advertising it on campus.

The entry fee was only $20!


I wasn't too thrilled with the weather, but kept my fingers crossed that Ashland would be a bit drier than Medford. As luck would have it, as soon as I started to head South the drizzle stopped and we avoided getting rained on the entire time!

I met Allison and Corey at their place and we walked the 2-ish miles to the start line.


The 1 mile kids fun run was just getting started when we got there so we stood by and watched that. It was great! So many active, happy, smiley kids and their parents in fun costumes! This little guy was adorable:

I did ask his mom before snapping a pic. I didn't want to be random stranger taking photos of little kids.

I also liked this guys costume:

Rock on, man!

Not everyone was in costume, but a lot of people were. It was a fun crowd!

We had a bit to wait before our start time.



Hey look! The Oscar Mayer Halloweenie Mobile!!

Just after 10:45 the gun went off and we headed off on our 5k. We jogged a tiny bit at the start, but due to the entire first 1/2 of the event being up hill our jogging didn't last long. We just walked and enjoyed visiting. Allison is from California and thinks Oregon is so beautiful with all the trees (it is) so she enjoyed the scenery.

Halfway!


Thankfully it was all down hill from there! The course was an out-and-back, up hill for the first half and down hill for the second. We didn't break any records or anything, finishing in about 49 minutes (my official time is 49 and change but Allison's was 47 and change, yet we crossed the finish at the same time and it was not a chip-timed event). I came in second to last for my age group and second to last overall for the women. Ha! We certainly weren't in a hurry!

There were no medals for this small event, but I did get my tech tee!


Later on I was thinking about "stuff" and I realized that 10 years ago I would not have been to do this, especially without any official training or planning. What I mean is: 10 years ago I was overweight and unfit. I may still be heavier than I want to be, but I have made lots of other changes in my life to be "healthier," including being more active in general.

I walked 2 miles to the start, 3.1 miles for the event and then walked another 2 miles back to my car, meaning I walked a little over 7 miles on Saturday without even batting an eye. Sure I was getting tired and a bit sore by the end, but I never even thought about whether or not I could do it! 10 years ago I wouldn't have been able to.

It is really nice to think about a different benchmark for my health and fitness besides the number on the scale or the size of my jeans. I *AM* healthier and more fit than I was 10 years ago. I *chose* to go walk for 7 miles for something fun to do. It is a different mindset and one that I am glad I have cultivated. It is a prime example of me following my life motto: live the life I want right now!

I had a great time, and a big thank you to Allison and Corey for participating with me!

Are you healthier now than in the past? Did you do a race this weekend?

No comments: