Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Potato and Green Bean Salad

Happy Wednesday! 

The kittens and school are taking up all my time, so it has taken me a bit to get this post together. It is pretty photo-lite because honestly, I didn't think you needed lots of photos of how to boil potatoes and chop up green beans. 

This recipe is again from the most recent Better Homes and Gardens Special Interest Publication on newsstands now. No, I am not getting anything from BHG by plugging this, I just think they put out some really great recipes!

This potato salad is an Italian style potato salad. It is not heavy at all, and has no mayonnaise. BHG calculated the recipe at six servings with 186 calories per serving, which is not too shabby when talking potato salad.

One reason I was drawn to this potato salad is that I had all the ingredients on hand, and most of it was fresh from my own garden. I was excited to try it out using all that delicious fresh garden produce! I used my own potatoes, green beans, garlic, tomatoes and basil! Nice.


Also, I was glad to have another recipe to use anchovy paste with. I have another dressing I make with anchovy paste (it is not gross, trust me!) but I'm glad to have more ways to use it up. Plus this basic dressing could be used on many different salads, or even as a marinade. 

Although my picture is not near as pretty as the fully styled magazine photo, the salad itself was delicious! Very fresh and different from a typical picnic style potato salad. I would definitely make this again! 


The dressing consists of grated lemon peel, lemon juice, the olive oil, capers, garlic, anchovy paste and pepper. Shake it up or mix it and you have your dressing. The salad itself is potatoes, boiled, hard boiled eggs, green beans cooked, and tomatoes, olives and fresh basil! Mix it all together, let it set for a bit, and enjoy!

The recipe made enough for Chris and I to have dinner, plus about three servings of leftovers later in the week. It kept well in the fridge and didn't get mushy.

Do you like potato salad? Are you a mayo based potato salad fan, or some other style?

No comments: