Saturday, May 15, 2010

Spicy Meatloaf Burgers

Spicy Meatloaf Burger

Tonight’s dinner is my own creation. Yes, I do adapt recipes for my own use, and sometimes even create my own from scratch.

This recipe is adapted from my mother in law’s meatloaf recipe. It is a great meatloaf all on its own, but a few years ago I started mixing it up, adding various things to give it some different flavors. I would add barbeque sauce and some brown sugar to give it a barbeque smoky flavor. Or I would add Italian seasonings to give it a more Mediterranean flavor.

One of Chris’ favorite incarnations was when I added an ancho chili canned in adobo sauce to the meat mixture. This gave it, not only a smoky flavor, but also a nice kick of spicy!

Well, I wanted to make meatloaf for dinner this week, but it was so nice and warm out I didn’t really feel like making it in my oven. Meatloaf is such a comfort food, I typically think of it as a fall or winter food.

What to do? Well, I decided to make burgers with the meatloaf recipe! Genius! Here’s what I did:

1 lb lean ground beef
1 egg
½ cup quick cooking oatmeal
Couple squeezes of ketchup
1 tablespoon brown sugar
A squeeze of mustard
A sprinkle of garlic powder (to taste)
Salt (to taste)
Fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
1 ancho chili canned in adobo sauce, chopped
½ cup chopped onion
A sprinkle of ground cumin (to taste)

mix together. get your (clean) hands in there and mix and smoosh it all together! Form into patties.



Grill on a nice hot barbeque grill.



I also added a side of basmati rice. Cook the rice, 1 cup rice to two cups liquid. Bring to a boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes or until all liquid is gone. Add approximately ¼ cup chopped green onion and 1 small ancho chili in adobo sauce. Mix and serve.

Plus I had the most wonderful, delicious, fresh from my very own garden, salad! LOOK at all the greens I cut! And, there is a whole bunch more that is ready to be cut! My lettuces are doing so awesome!



I put the burgers on the last of the ww thin buns, with a smidge of mayo and some lettuce fresh from the garden. Oh wow….yum! The texture was like meatloaf, and the flavor was awesome!



Chris gave it a definite 5 stars (out of 5) and said we have to have that again.

So, our new summer “meatloaf” is Spicy Meatloaf Burgers!

Oh, one more thing. The ancho chili canned in adobo sauce definitely has some kick to it. I only use one out of the can. The rest I put in a sealed plastic container in the fridge. It keeps in there for a really long time. If you like your food really spicy, use two chili's! whew!

Enjoy!

No comments: