Thursday, May 20, 2010

How Does Your Garden Grow?



How does your garden grow?

I thought I’d post a little garden update. It’s been just over a month since our first planting.

We have had some great success! Most things have sprouted at least a little bit, with a couple of exceptions, like the basil which has done nothing, and the chives, which have also done nothing.

A few things succumbed to the frost, one of the pepper starts, one of the tomatoes and two of the cucumber starts. One of the tomatoes and one of the pepper starts survived and are growing again.

Some stuff has gone crazy, especially in the last week or so with the warmer weather. The lettuce has gone bonkers and I have already clipped several colanders full and have used them for salads and on sandwiches. The lettuce from the garden is so fresh! It doesn’t taste anything like what comes from the store.

The cabbages and brussel sprouts have also taken off this week! They are getting big.

The radishes are going bonkers and the potatoes, I swear, grew like 4 inches overnight. I took these pictures on Sunday and today the potatoes are sticking over the top of the grid!



Sunday we did some re-planting and some additional planting. We replanted a tomato and some cucumbers. I also decided to get corn and bean starts, instead of using the seeds, so we planted those. I picked up some beet starts, too.



I re-seed planted some of the pickling cucumbers, the chives, some parsnips (one box has come up, the other-nothing). I planted some more radishes, too.

We have tiny little pepper sprouts starting, an acorn squash sprout is up, the peas are doing well. The onions have sprouted and I hope they do okay! I have lots of cilantro starts. I think the broccoli got in too late in the season, so it is trying to bolt and bloom.

I still have lots of space to plant, so am planning on planting another couple squares of carrots in another week or so. This will help give me a longer harvest time. I am thinking of getting a couple of melon starts and seeing how those do. I’m not sure what else, but so far we are having fun and enjoying ourselves!

Our lemon plant is living outside full time now. It doesn’t like the cold, so all spring we had been putting out during the sunny days and bringing it in at night. It went gangbusters a few weeks ago and was covered in little white flowers. They were soo fragrant! I could smell them throughout the house! Very tropical and sweet… Now most of the flowers are gone and there are a whole bunch of little tiny, baby lemons on there! Exciting! We shall see if we get any lemons to grow, maybe we can make lemonade.

That’s all from the garden for today! Check back for more garden updates!

2 comments:

Shore said...

Are you going to plant some Zucchini? I actually have one in my front yard. Trying to see if it will do anything =O)

Corrie Beebe said...

No! Zucchini is one of those plants that you plant one and end up with 8 million zucchini! Although, I have been juicing zucchini, so at least there is one thing I could have used it for. Speaking of, tomorrow I am making a new recipe I found for zucchini muffins. I'll let you know how it turns out.