Friday, May 18, 2012

The Friday Five 5/18/12

1. What I'm Reading


I started reading this book in 2009. I barely got into it and then had to return it to the person I borrowed it from. I have been wanting to get back to it ever since! I don't know if you recall but I have a personal challenge to finish all of my "currently-reading" books on Goodreads before I start any new books. Well this is the 2nd to last one! I got it from the library this week and have until the end of June to finish it! I haven't started it yet, but I'm super excited.

"Stuffed and Starved: The Hidden Battle for the World Food System is a non-fiction book written by Raj Patel. It was published in 2008 by Melville House Publishing. Stuffed and Starved looks at the inequities of the world food system from the beginning to the end of the conventional food chain, from producers to manufacturers and distributors to consumers. According to Naomi Klein, Stuffed & Starved is "One of the most dazzling books I have read in a very long time." From the introduction.

2. What I'm Listening To

For Christmas my brother gave Chris a thumb drive that had basically our entire music collection, plus my brother's music collection on it. Chris loves it! It is in his truck and he has a huge selection of a wide variety of music to choose from. He loves it so much that he decided he didn't need his Sirius XM radio anymore! Guess what that means? That means that I have the Sirius XM radio in my car now and can listen to so much more music and no commercials! I hate commercials and DJ's and so don't listen to the radio. I would stick on cd in my car and listen to it on repeat for months until I finally got around to sticking a different cd in there. So, I'm excited to have variety at a touch of a button!

3. What I'm Watching


This is an *INCREDIBLE* movie. It is a story of traditional "eskimo" people. It includes a love story, betrayal, magic, hardship and survival. It is spoken completely in the native language so it has subtitles but the story is epic and completely worth watching. I watched this for school but am searching it out to watch it again with Chris. I think it is that good.

4. What I'm Eating

For the past 6-ish weeks I have been on a pretty restrictive diet, excluding sugar, bread, alcohol, etc. That included dairy products. This morning I ate eggs! Oh, I love eggs. I scrambled some eggs on top of some slightly sauteed, torn bok choy. Delicious! In another few weeks I will be able to add more food items back in and I have to say one of the things I am looking forward to the most is peanut butter!

5. What I'm Looking Forward To

We are just 23 days away from the Helvetia Half Marathon on June 9th, 2012! I have been doing really well with my training. I walked 8.5 miles earlier this week and wasn't even sore the next day. This week I need to get out and get 10+ miles under my belt. I'm getting excited to see my friends, go for a long walk and just enjoy the sites and sound of the marathon. Plus I can't wait to get my t-shirt and my medal! I did the 10k in 2006 and 2009, so I have shirts from those events but no half marathon medal. This year I am getting my medal!

What's your five? Anything you are looking forward to?

No comments: