Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Time To Change The Rules

Are your rules holding you back? Are the rules that you have learned in your life, from your mother, your friends, the media, your own inner self, preventing you from achieving all that you want?

Rules help us keep order in our lives. They help us to have a sense of control over our lives. Sometimes, though, rules that at one time were helpful become a hindrance.

Our lives change. Our wants change. We want to choose a new direction to travel. Sometimes the rules need to change.

Recently I have given a good hard look to the rules in my life, and trust me, I have a lot of rules.



I have rules about when I can exercise, when I can drink coffee, when I can shower, eat, and go to bed.

I used to have rules about my sheets and blankets, but I got rid of those rules a long time ago.

It is not important what the specific rules are, but what is important is to decide if you are still following the right rules.

My rule about when, and where, and how, I could exercise was no longer serving me. It was preventing me from getting the exercise that I knew I needed.

I had to take a good hard look at that rule. It served a purpose for me at another time in my life. In my current life the rule was hindering me from getting my exercise and achieving a life goal.

It was time to change the rule I had in place about exercise.

Do you have rules that need to be changed? You maybe want to substitute the word "rules" for "beliefs".

Are there beliefs or rules about your life, your body, your beauty, your ability, your inner light, or your worth that are holding you back from living the life you want?

If so: It is time to change the rules.

They are your rules and you have the right and the ability and the power to change them.

"It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power."
 ~ Alan Cohen


No comments: