Tuesday, July 12, 2011

July 2011 Garden


Okay I haven't posted much about my garden this year. The reason is that I have been frustrated and annoyed by it.

Things that did very well last year, and I bought ten times the amount of this year, didn't do jack.

My peas, for example. I bought 3 varieties of peas and NONE of them did anything. I don't know if it was the soil (I put them in a new box), the weather, the plants or a combination of factors. Literally we ate like 2 peas total. That just kinda ticked me off right from the start.

Then, I planted a bunch of stuff from seeds, like lettuce and my cucumbers for pickles. Most of it didn't do anything at all. Then when the cucumbers did finally sprout they got eaten by the slugs almost immediately.


(zucchini now-yikes!)

That was after our seed starts started and then petered out and then most of them died.

Later I saw that my corn was all weird, with holes in the leaves and with weird wrapping or wrinkling of the leaves. Turns out that was more bug damage (stink bugs) and there is nothing to be done about it.

So, I have had a lot of frustration with my garden.



On the other hand my potatoes, tomatoes, zucchini, basil and now the peppers are starting to really go for it. We have harvested 2 sets of radishes, several zucchini and tomorrow I'm headed out to harvest a bunch of basil to make and freeze pesto.




My blueberry plants are doing pretty well and I even am getting a few blueberries off of them.



I already told you about my Thundercloud Plum.

We planted some sunflowers but they are still pretty small. Not sure if they are going to grow tall or not.



So last year we battled bugs and slugs, and we are battling them again this year. Things do appear to be improving though, so I will update the progress again when we actually start to get some harvest!

1 comment:

Christy said...

Isn't it fulfilling to look back at this and see how frustrated you were and then look at today and see what a bountiful garden you have!