Friday, February 1, 2013

The Friday Five 2.1.13


YIPES! How is it February already? 

1. What I'm Reading


From Amazon: The narrator of this extraordinary tale is a man in search for truth. He answers an ad in a local newspaper from a teacher looking for serious pupils, only to find himself alone in an abandoned office with a full-grown gorilla who is nibbling delicately on a slender branch. “You are the teacher?” he asks incredulously. “I am the teacher,” the gorilla replies. Ishmael is a creature of immense wisdom and he has a story to tell, one that no other human being has ever heard. It is a story that extends backward and forward over the lifespan of the earth from the birth of time to a future there is still time to save. Like all great teachers, Ishmael refuses to make the lesson easy; he demands the final illumination to come from within ourselves. Is it man’s destiny to rule the world? Or is it a higher destiny possible for him—one more wonderful than he has ever imagined?

Now, I understand that having a gorilla as the teacher is a stretch, but let me assure you that during the reading it becomes completely plausible and also exceptionally real. Daniel Quinn has done an incredible job helping the reader to see the foibles of humanity. This story is so powerful. I have been finished with the book for a few days but I can't stop thinking about the message, the story, the insight, the wisdom. This is one of those books. One of those books that I feel everyone should read at least once in their life. It reminds me of The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho; not the story but the feeling I had after I read it. 

Ishmael can be purchased used on Amazon for as little as $3.58. I know it is available on audible as well. This book has an amazing message and I encourage everyone to read it. 

2. What I'm Watching

I recently caught up on most of the current season of Bones. I wasn't sure about it after Booth and Brennan first had their baby, but I enjoyed the current season. I also have (I know, totally late to the party) recently discovered The Big Bang Theory. Uhm. Hilarious! 

I also watched a couple of movies while Kelsey was visiting.


This movie was so funny and GOOD. I had not heard anything about it, and thought it looked dumb when I read the back of it, but I was wrong. It was really good. I would even watch it again. Gotta love Rebel Wilson as Fat Amy. 


We also watched Bridesmaids. Okay...everyone said this movie was so hilarious. The funniest movie they had seen in a long time. Blah BLah BLAH. Ohmygosh. This movie was terrible. Horrible. I laughed like one time and that was when the depressing lead character chick ran her dumpy POS car into the back of Rhodes patrol car. That was funny. The rest of it...UGH! Horrible. I was depressed watching it. I will give props to Melissa McCarthy who played the incredible Megan. So awesome. The rest of the cast was terrible, and the movie sucked. WHY did anyone think this was funny? 

3. What I'm Listening To


Scream and Shout by Will.i.Am and Britney Spears. I discovered this song the other day and I really like it. 

4. What I'm Eating

Ugh...a bunch of crap! I'm all over the place with food right now. We went out last night and had burgers and onion rings for cryin' out loud! (They were really tasty.)

I am going to make something healthy for dinner tonight. 

Thai Chicken Salad with Peanut Dressing Recipe

Thai Chicken Salad with Peanut Dressing (image from Cooking Light)

Or you can see my version: Thai Chicken Salad with Peanut Dressing


Yesterday I defrosted the chicken and it has been marinading in a Thai style marinade: ginger, lemon grass, garlic, a bit of sugar and some soy sauce. I'm going to grill that up for the salad topper. YUM. 

5. Random Thing it Would be Cool to Have



Also, can I just say that Liv Tyler did an incredible job as Arwen? 

What's your five for the week?? What book should I pick up to read for February? I have a goal of 24 books for the year and am right on track, having read two in January! 

No comments: