Friday, September 14, 2012

The Friday Five 9/14/12


1. What I'm Reading:


From Amazon:
The city of San Francisco is being stalked by a huge shaved vampyre cat named Chet, and only I, Abby Normal, emergency backup mistress of the Greater Bay Area night, and my manga-haired love monkey, Foo Dog, stand between the ravenous monster and a bloody massacre of the general public.
Whoa. And this is a love story? Yup. 'Cept there's no whining. See, while some lovers were born to run, Jody and Tommy were born to bite. Well, reborn, that is, now that they're vampires. Good thing theirs is an undying love, since their Goth Girl Friday, Abby Normal, imprisoned them in a bronze statue.
Abby wants to be a bloodsucking fiend, too, but right now she's really busy with other stuff, like breaking in a pair of red vinyl thigh-high Skankenstein® platform boots and wrangling her Ph.D.-candidate boyfriend, Steve (the love monkey). And then there's that vampire cat Chet, who's getting bigger and smarter—and thirstier—by the minute. Abby thought she and Steve could handle the kitty cat on their own, mais non . . .
Before you can say "OMG! WTF?" Tommy and Jody are sprung from captivity, and join forces with Abby, Steve, the frozen-turkey-bowling Safeway crew, the Emperor of San Francisco and his trusty dogs Lazarus and Bummer, Abby's gay Goth friend Jared, and SF's finest Cavuto and Rivera to hunt big cat and save the city. And that's when the fun really begins.

Uh-huh. Weird. I picked this book up on the clearance table at Barnes and Noble a while back, mostly because I loved Lamb, also written by Christopher Moore, and thought I would try another of his books. I haven't gotten too far into it yet, but it is way outside my normal style of book, but I think I want to know what happens...so I'll keep reading. It is written mostly from the voice of a gothy-teenage girl, which is annoying and somewhat amusing at the same time, particularly when I think that it was written by a man. This book is a totally frivolous read for me after months of purposeful and research heavy reading. I will still say: go read Lamb! It is awesome, hilarious and irreverent.

2. What I'm Listening To:


When I Grow Up by the Pussycat Dolls. I LOVE this song. I listen to it a lot. It is catchy and fun and true!

3. What I'm Watching:

From Amazon:

1976. Napa Valley. One small American winery and its workers are about to show the French that the world's finest wines will now come from the other red, white and blue. Based on an inspiring true story and starring Alan Rickman, Bill Pullman, Chris Pine and Rachael Taylor, Bottle Shock is an 'intelligent, affectionate, beautifully acted movie' (The Hollywood Reporter) that pours out the laughs.

A quiet movie, but one with a great message, and based on the true story of how Napa became a world-recognized wine making region. Great actors all around!

Also, I'm watching:


OF COURSE!! Football night in America people! For the first time in years I was excited to watch the Denver Bronco's play football. Peyton Manning did a fabulous job and I really felt like they deserved to win. I will still rooting for the Steelers, but they fell apart and just couldn't get their game together. Way to go Denver! Looking forward to more.


I finally managed to watch the last episodes of The Closer and I thought they did an awesome job with wrapping up the story and setting up Major Crimes. I love Mary McDonnell as Capt. Raydor, and am so glad they kept the majority of the cast. This show has not had any "newbie" pains for me. It has been great from episode one and I plan to keep watching.  


Perception is a new show on TNT that airs after Major Crimes. I have always liked the main actor, Eric McCormack (Will & Grace), and the show itself is a brain twister.

In Perception, Eric McCormack plays Dr. Daniel Pierce, an eccentric neuroscience professor with paranoid schizophrenia who is recruited by the FBI to help solve complex cases. Pierce has an intimate knowledge of human behavior and a masterful understanding of the way the mind works. He also has an uncanny ability to see patterns and look past people’s conscious emotions to see what lies beneath.

Pierce’s mind may be brilliant, but it’s also damaged. He struggles with hallucinations and paranoid delusions brought on by his schizophrenia. Oddly, Daniel considers some of his hallucinations to be a gift. They occasionally allow him to make connections that his conscious mind can’t yet process. At other times, the hallucinations become Daniel’s greatest curse, leading him to behave in irrational, potentially dangerous ways. - From TNT.com

When watching the show you just never know what is real and what is a complete figment of his schizophrenic brain. I'm not totally loving his FBI agent partner, played by Rachael Leigh Cook, but I am enjoying the other main cast members. We'll see how this one plays out and if it becomes a watcher for me.

4. What I'm Eating:


Local! It is eat local week here in the Rogue Valley, and while I do a pretty good job of eating local as much as possible year round, this dinner is local! Spice rubbed grilled bone-in pork chops from our local butcher shop, local corn from our local farm stand and, as local as it gets, homemade coleslaw with cabbage and carrots from my own backyard garden. DEEElicious!

5. What I'm Pinning:

DIAMONDS!

Source: shaneco.com via Corrie on Pinterest


Source: shaneco.com via Corrie on Pinterest


Source: shaneco.com via Corrie on Pinterest


6. BONUS


Scruffy  Roxie who is clearly hot and tired....poor kitty...

No comments: