Saturday, December 17, 2011

5, 6 or 7-Layer Bars, Your Choice

AKA...my once a year cookies. I *only* make these at Christmas time.

I may have mentioned here or there that I have no self control when it comes to cookies. That is true, and well-known. But, I especially have no self control when it comes to these cookies, or bars if you prefer.

They are decadent.

Rich.

Sweet.

Gooey (if you eat them when they are still slightly warm, and why wouldn't you, especially if you have no self control when it comes to cookies?)

Delicious.

I make them only once a year so as to do as little damage to my physique as possible.

5, 6 or 7-Layer Bars

Here's what ya need!
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/2-1 cup shredded coconut
6-8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate morsels
6-8 ounces butterscotch morsels
1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
1/4-1 cup chopped nuts (your choice or a mixture)

1. Preheat oven to 350.

2. Melt butter in 13 x 9 baking dish, ensuring to coat entire bottom of dish evenly.


3. Sprinkle graham cracker crumbs (run them through the food processor and you will have crumbs in a minute!) over top of melted butter. Smooth evenly over bottom of dish and press into butter
slightly.



4. Sprinkle semi-sweet chocolate morsels over the top of graham cracker base.



5. *optional* add sweetened, shredded coconut (I add it to half of my pan only)


6. Sprinkle butterscotch morsels.


7. Press down slightly.

8. Add sweetened condensed milk over top of mixture, pouring as evenly as possible over the entire pan.



9. *optional* top with chopped nuts, one type or a mixture of several. (Use your food processor to make quick work of the nut chopping, but don't pulverize them, you still want some chunks.) I put nuts on about half of my pan.

Mix of peanuts, cashews, hazelnuts, almonds and pistachio's.



10. Bake at 350F for about 30 minutes or until the nuts (if using) are slightly toasted and browning, and the sweetened condensed milk is nice and toasty golden brown.


Remove from oven and let cool (as much as you can stand to wait).


I have found the easiest way to cut these is with a good thin metal spatula. If you wait to cut them until they are completely cooled, they can be a bit difficult. Cool them well, but don't leave them overnight.





 These are VERY rich, so small pieces go a long way. I usually cut them into small, two-bite pieces.


I have been making these (only at Christmastime) since I was a child. I don't know where the original recipe came from, but I know there are many versions and varieties out there. As always, experiment! I don't like coconut and nuts, but other people do, which is why I make the batch half-n-half this way. I'm sure these would be incredibly delicious with peanut butter morsels instead of butterscotch, if butterscotch isn't your thing.

These make a beautiful, tasty gift (that is a great way to get them out of your house so you don't eat them all in one day!).

If you try these out, they take all of about 10 minutes to prep, and 30 minutes to cook. Let me know if you love them!

No comments: